|England & Wales Census 1841
England and Wales Census 1841
This is a full index to digitised images of the complete 1841 Census records for all counties in England and Wales. It's searchable by name, age, birth place, parish and county.
Contents of the 1841 census returns
Like all subsequent censuses, the 1841 census is organised by property and household(s) within that property.
For every property the following information is given:
For inhabited properties, each household is given a
- Road, street, town or village and number or name of property
- Rural properties may simply be referred to as, for example, "Cottage"
- Whether inhabited
For each person in a household the following is given:
- Household No
- This is not present in the original documents but has been inserted during the data capture. It allows the display of the records for all members of a household. If there are multiple households within a property, each household will have a different Household No.
Separation of houses and households
- First name and Last name
- For babies this may be given as days, weeks, or months. Ages for people older than 15 years were supposed to have been given to the nearest 5 years, but exact ages are commonly shown.
- There are separate columns in the original documents for age of males and age of females. This has been been taken into consideration when capturing the index data, so allowing you to be able search on sex.
- Where born
- This is limited to: in the same county, in another county of England or Wales, Scotland, Ireland, or foreign
A convention is used to separate entries for one house and also multiple households within one house. You will see small diagonal line just before some forenames. A double line separate houses; a single line separates households within a house.
For more information about Geographic coverage, place, people and reference data, see About England and Wales Census 1841